Wednesday, December 26, 2007

The Blackest White Singers Ever...


























Justin Timberlake can sing, but he doesn't sound black to me. Sure, he got that cute little falsetto (pause!), but again, he doesn't sound black to me. Let's not get it twisted. Future Sex/Love Sounds is my favorite album (any genre) of 2006. But I think JT's "blackness" probably comes from Timbaland's sonics and the MJ-inspired dance moves more than anything.

It's funny that people mention Timberlake, Amy Whinehouse and Robin Thicke as part of some sort of emergence considering Blue-eyed soul used to be more common. Me and my cousin Tone were talking about it just last night. So many had us fooled thinking they were one of us, when in fact, they were part of the Blue-eyed soul legend. Let's take a look shall we.

Daryl Hall (of Hall & Oates): I'll be honest. I only found out they were white like last year or something. Some of their songs are older than me, so in some cases I rememberthe the tunes, but not the visuals. [Check Out "Maneater"]

Michael McDonald: The man was signed to Motown and went toe-to-toe with Patti Labelle and Chaka Khan. Nuff said! [Check Out "Sweet Freedom"]

Taylor Dane: I still don't think she's white. This chick gotta be a very light skinned sister. [Check Out "Tell It To My Heart"]

Teena Marie: Ya'll already know. Somebody needs to hit youtube with Teena's catalog though.

Phill Collins: Genesis was no R&B, but you couldn't help but hear the soul in Phil's voice. One listen to "Easy Lover" and "Can't Hurry Love" and we were trying to claim him.

Bryan Abrams (of Color Me Badd): Tell the truth. You thought they were brothers and then saw they corny ass on TV. You know you liked the song. Just admit it. [Check Out "I Wanna Sex You Up"]

Amy Whinehouse: No brainer, here. If I was niggorant, I'd point out that Amy got issues just like black people. But let's not go there. [Check Out "Valerie"]

Don't nobody dare bring up Joss Stone. That chick can't really sing like that. I love Thicke and Jamiroquai, but I don't know. Once again, the production plays a huge part. And let's not get carried away and say someone sounds black just cause they can sing. Some of you mid to late 80s babies may wanna look up some of these folks right quick. I'm sure there's plenty more, but I gotta go to bed. Who am I missing?

--Jackpot

9 comments:

MeLa said...

Joss Stone sucks and she looks like Linda Blair in the Exorcist.

You can't leave out Bobby Caldwell ("What You Won't Do For Love")... I bet folks still don't know he was white.

ww4p (ww4p.com/blog) said...

JT is soulful with or without Timbaland. At his concert he sang "Easy Like A Sunday Morning" by Lionel Richie and brought the house down. Just him and a piano. Timbaland does the damn thing, but please believe you would hear Justin's 'sounds of blackness' without him.

He is from Memphis remember.

raboog1 said...

Good one, Jackpot. I don't get the Joss hate though. I fucks with her.

Mela, good look on Bob Caldwell. That man is so underrated.

Here are a few more...
Anatasica - fuck that club ish, when she sings soul, she goes in.

Fergie - Old Fergie... Like when she was Stacy Ferguson and she was in Wild Orchid. Don't believe me...

Citizen Cope - Sleeper. That dude can sing the blues.

Mariah Carey - I just threw her up here for controversy.

Geezus said...

I like what JT is doing but he's just impin like Mike. How bout Jon B...

Epsilonicus said...

I agree geezus. Before I saw any of Jon B's videos I thought he was Black. He had a swagger I use to want to imitate when I was in middle school

Ron Mexico said...

michael "FUCKIN'" macdonald!

amen, brother. i freaked out when i first saw him. i thought he was a negro FOR CERTAIN.

i got one you all should be ashamed for omitting.

how about some love for lisa stansfield on this list?

Ron Mexico said...

bobby caldwell is white?

raboog1 said...

Yessir, Bob Caldwell is a cool ass Caucasian.

And how did I forget about Nikka Costa???

Anonymous said...

Although she hasn't had a big hit here in the States in a number of years, I'd throw Lisa Stansfield (referred to as the female Barry White at one time) in this category...