Sunday, January 27, 2008

Dude...Would You Watch Brokeback Now?



Heath Ledger (1979-2008)



So me and my friend Janice were talking about Heath Ledger the other night and of course, Brokeback Mountain came up.
She was telling me how great the movie was. Oh, I don't doubt it. It was critically acclaimed and received Academy Award nominations for Best Motion Picture and Best Supporting Actor for Heath, among other nods.

But of course, like every freaking straight dude I know, I haven't seen it. To be honest, I wouldn't fault any dude if they did see it. Just like I've put No Country For Old Men and Juno on my list this year, I usually want to see Award-nominated flicks to see what the buzz is about for myself.

Let's face it, guys. We've all see dudes kiss. Wether it be watching The Real World or being blind-sided around the city. The difference is, we usually don't plan on seeing it. I remember telling my ex, "it's one thing to be cool with dudes at the job, but I wouldn't willingly go chill with a bunch of F.I.T. students other than my dude, Ali. (PAUSE!) But I'm thinking, now with Heath deceased, are any of you guys thinking about watching the flick? You know his work is about to be studied like crazy now and The Dark Night, in which he plays the joker, is about to be the year's biggest blockbuster. It's on HBO On Demand now, but you know what, there are certain things you just want to keep on record. And I like saying, "no, I've never seen Brokeback ot The Titanic."

So fellers, keep it funky. Which one of you has seen it? And ladies, do you know men who have admitted to seeing it, perhaps while trying to impress you with their sensitive sides? Speak on it!

9 comments:

Clark Kent said...

My ex dragged me to that movie when it came out. I fell asleep. I'd watch 10 Things I Hate About You before I see that movie again...

Shannon B. said...

I saw the movie and I loved it. I only know one guy that has seen it and he saw it on a date with a woman. I recommend it. I think it's a beautiful movie. There is only one actual sex scene. It's pretty intense, but it has more to do with the qualities of their lives than their sexual orientation.

Janee TMB said...

There have been reports that certain right-wing groups are planning to protest at Ledger's funeral because of his role in Brokeback and I think that is one of the saddest,most ridiculous and ignorant things I've ever heard.

It was a beautiful movie (a lil melodramatic) but he played the hell out of the role and I think he should be respected for it in both life and death.

:( R.I.P. Heath

MeLa said...

Wait.. why haven't you seen Titanic?

Brokeback was an excellent movie. But while there was only one sex scene (which was really intensely gay) it's a credit to both actors that their love was almost palpable throughout the movie. So if you'd be uncomfortable watching 2 men and never being able to forget that they know each other in the blblical sense, I wouldn't recommend you go for it.

All the men I know are way too homophobic to admit theyve seen it, if they have.

killahills said...

i've already seen it but i don't know any straight dudes that've seen that flick-who've admitted it to me. I'm a self proclaimed fag hag, and I'm not against the gay lifestyle so I don't see the beef in the flick. If anything, I gave heath props for not doing the will smith and faking the same sex kiss with a funky camera angle...ps. that movie is depressing as hell, on par with romeo and juliet except everyone doesn't die, =0(

Farrah said...

I know of no straight man that has seen this movie. To be honest, I thought it was a great movie. It showed the power of love in the most unfiltered way. To love when all the odds in the world are against you. That is some powerful shit.

It's very sad and tragic what happened to Ledger. For some reason it made me think of my own mortality (being that we share the same birth year). He was not one of my favorite actors but his contribution to that film was remarkable. My condolences.

S. Jacksom said...

Sammy Davis Sr

Yeah Mate, dont think that movie will ever be on my Netflix lineup. I dont think any dude plans to see that movie, its gotta be a situation like you're stuck on the airplane and its playing. Haha, imagine going to the Blockbuster register with that one, thats right up there with buying tampons for your girl...all by yourself.

Paul Cantor said...

I haven't watched it just because every time I catch it while it's already airing on HBO, it's just so fucking boring. Not because it's got any gay shit in it. I could care less. If I could watch a movie as good as The Godfather, but the actual movie deals with some gay issue, I wouldn't mind. At the end of the day it's about watching a good flick.

John said...

like i said, no disrespect to the dead, or gays for that matter... and yeah, it looks like heath did an amazing job with his joker role... but why the fuck would i EVER want to watch gay cowboys act like a couple of gay cowboys. fuck that, man.