Monday, January 7, 2008

There's Something In My Eye




I'm currently riding the train listening to Phil Collins' "Against All Odds" and...wow! The song is so emotionally-charged. It's a tear jerker...I think. While I've never cried at the movies (me and my sister laughed during Shindler's List) or during a song, I understand why certain pieces move folks to tears.
Whitney Houston songs make me wanna bawl my damn self. The content doesn't even have to be sad, her voice alone does the trick. Then I see reruns of "Being Bobby Brown" or flicks of her chilling with Ray J and I have to fight off tears. Come to think about it, it's been too long since I've cried.

Man, I was 13. I remember getting this silver chain with a baseball player pendant that summer. Well, I won't discuss details of the incident, but let's just say my chain broke. But since then, nothing. I've lost championship games and relatives, but still nothing. As you can probably tell from the chain tale, I used to be a cry baby. I'm starting to think there isn't anything left in the well.

I did have a close call at my grandmother's funeral in Haiti three years ago. It was nuts seeing my uncles, aunts and cousins lose it. I think I would have crumbled if my parents started tearing up. But they didn't. To this day I've never seen them cry. I guess that's where I get it from. I did feel horrible for not crying though. Only me, my parents and one of my cousins didn't need tissues.

For the record, there's nothing wrong with crying. We all crack sometimes. I just haven't in a while. But with all this crap bottled up, I may just break down if I read some crazy Whitney headline. How about you guys? When was the last time you've cried and why? Speak on it!

Sidebar: Funny I should post this on the day Hillary Clinton got choked up.Feel free to weigh in on that as well.

7 comments:

Cash said...

You laughed during Schindler's List. That's cold

Matou said...

The last time I cried was on Sunday around like 3 in the morning. Why?? I'm a lil confused about a certain someone. It's kind of annoying....
And You Are Horrible for laughing during Schindler's List...
*singing* Cold Blooded!!!!
Tsk Tsk...

Farrah said...

Yo...You laughed during Schindler's List! That's crazy.

For me personally, I don't seem to cry when there's trials and tribulations in my own life. I kind of pull myself together and do what needs to be done. At my grandma's funeral I was trying to make my cousin laugh (I know, I know). But don't get me wrong...I do cry.

I cry for stupid things like that downy commercial with the African American father on the bed holding his sleeping son and then that beautiful, soulful downy song comes on (yall know what I'm talking about).

I also cried when Punk was eliminated from I Love NY (he really loved her yall)!

A couple of movies made me rub my eyes...
Amistad
This Christmas
Schindler’s List
Roots (anything with slavery and beatings).

MeLa said...

I don't cry for anything real. I only cry for movies. I don't seem to have the mechanism that allows me to feel, much less express, the appropriate emotion at the appropriate time. I be on my Omarion ish..

"Im so cold, Im so cold, Im so cold..."


Every time i watch The Family Stone, you would think it was my momma passing the way i bawl. Shit, I cried when they found Nemo.

Tyler said...

This year alone I have cried three times.

1. During Akeela And The Bee. Man that ending was great.

2. I saw this man walking his dog using a harness to hold up his back legs while his front legs did all of the walking. I've seen this guy before so I'm assuming something happened to his dog. The dogs legs were just dangling in the air.

3. When it was announced Elliott Wilson got fired.

Do tears of joy count?

Farrah said...

Tyler, that dog with no hind legs, do they live around the West 20's and 6th Ave? 'Cause I swear I've seen them. That made me cry to...With uncontrollable laughter. OMG that shit is dumb funny!!! LOL

V-zilla said...

Last time I cried was when u left town to become a yankee. No more "who's your friend with the braids??" when I was in clubs. It was just too much for me to handle, too much joy..... too much....