Wednesday, April 16, 2008

How Far Do You Remember?

I can't recall anything before the 4-year-old mark.

Any prior knowledge is based on stories my parents told me. Apparently I
was Peter Parker with it, climbing out of my craddle and hanging upside down pretty early on.

But the first memory I own is a "fight" with my neighbor Dany Richard. We were playing with Tonka trucks right in front of my building when he warned me that he was moving this rock out of the way. I didn't listen and got hit. Wwwwwoooouiiiinnnnnnnn! I started crying and then whooped his ass.

You can still see the scar on my head to this day. I remember everything so clearly. Going home crying. My mom consoling me and giving me mais (not corn, we Haitian, son!). It's been clear ever since. Me and my cousin Mayhem battling (break dancing) in front of his crib when we were 5. I bet you he doesn't remember. Playing soccer with my pops and my brother in front of the crib. I could keep going. What about you guys? What's your earliest memory? How old were you then? Speak on it!

4 comments:

ChocoDeluxe said...

I remember when we first moved into the projects when I was 4. The place was empty with very little furniture; which is crazy if you see what it looked like right before we moved out...

I remember my mom trying to braid my brother's hair one night. I think we were watching TV, and he was crying cuz he hated getting his hair braided...this was before moving into the PJs, but that's about as far back as I go...

Clark Kent said...

I remember when I was about 2 or 3 and this white kid called me a nigger at a carnival. I didn't know what it meant, so I had asked my mom. She almost got into a fight with the boy's mother.

Im just, Im just *Rika* from the Block!!! said...

God, so many early memories..but the earliest memory is being in Trinidad, before moving to the US and getting beat w/ the belt buckle part of the belt for darting out into the street back and forth to play w/ the neighbor across the way...

I remember a lot though, from those years...guess somehow i told myself back in '89 that those would be the only memories I would have of a childhood in Trinidad...

Danica said...

Good question, Carl. My first memory, believe it or not, was when I was 18 months old. It was the first night that I spent away from my parents, at my Grandma's house. After a year and half straight of Danica duty my mom decided to take an overnight getaway with my dad, aunt and uncle. I was so sad that it's ingrained in my memory forever.