Sunday, June 8, 2008

The Phillies Won...





The irony is that I could give a flying 747 frrrrrr if the Phillies won or not. I haven't cared for them since Lenny Dykstra was their lead off hitter.

Here's the thing, though. Me and the fellers slang it up so much, that outsiders can listen in on our conversations and feel like we're speaking a different language. Our lexicon is constantly being updated. If Sam Ed doesn't come up with something new, then Mark does. If Roni doesn't, then Hobbs will. The same thing goes for my dudes in Montreal. If Edcredible doesn't, then Fred does. If not Qwest, then me. I remember my sister telling me that she has no clue what me and my friends talk about sometimes. We just slang it up too much.

Allow me to introduce you to the latest saying. I don't watch Family Guy religiously, but I do reckon that it's an hilarious ass show. Per Hobbs, there's this episode where Brian or somebody just starts ranting away. Uninterested, Stewie responds by saying, "The Phillies won." He couldn't give a damn. Basically, "The Phillies won" is just about the most smart ass way you can let somebody know you don't give a hoot.

I'm sure you've been in conversations you didn't particularly care for. I hate to do it, but I must take a recent example. I'll just make it anonymous. I'm 6'1," but look taller or shorter depending who you ask. Every now and then, some 5'9" and 3/4 dude tells me we're the same height. Shoot! It happened just last night. See for yourself.

5'9": Yo, Carl. How tall are you? You're not as tall as I thought.

Carl: [I don't really care look on his face] I'm 6'1".

5'9": That means we're the same height.

Carl: [Still not caring] Oh ok.

Hobbs: The Phillies won.

The next time somebody talks some nonsense, just chime in, "The Phillies won." You have to say it with a dry sarcastic tone. One more example.

Daddy Mack: Ayo, Carl. I bet you I bag more chicks than you, b.

Carl: The Phillies won.

Try it sometimes and once you do, let me know how it went.

6 comments:

Paul Cantor said...

I usually come with the equally topic-changing phrase, "so how about those yankees?"

Ron Mexico said...

as a met fan i can't take part in this addition to team slanguistics.

Roberto (aka SantosGold) said...

That saying was purposely created to make Met fans upset. Dam the corporate thugs at Fox! lol.

RS

Im just, Im just *Rika* from the Block!!! said...

I actually have another way to show people that I am completely uninterested in their conversation... I wait until they lapse in convo then interject, "Huh...what? Yeah, I like oreos too...double stuffed..." then stare at them....

believe or not...ppl actually get that I could care less...
it works...

and you know me and my love of people...this means I use this term at least twice a day and also in text format...

Hobbs said...

Phillies Won!

Daruffian said...

Yezzir! "Phillies won" is the less aggressive reply to annoying social banter. I also like politely waiting until someone finishes up their bullshit convo by interjecting"Who Gives A Fuck?!?! and then proceed to doing whatever i was doing.