Monday, July 21, 2008

Movies By My Lonesome...

I saw The Dark Knight earlier today.

I must say, it was dope as hell. Marvel and D.C. comic books were part of my diet growing up. So as far as movies, it doesn't get much better than seeing a superhero movie well executed. Heath Ledger (R.I.P) was incredible. His performance was well worth all the current hoopla, so I hope he grabs a posthumous Academy Award. I'm not saying his performance makes me wanna see Brokeback Mountain, but it was superior.

Guess who I went to the movies with, though. My damn self! I left work early, so I decided to catch it before hitting the gym. I never understood why people are so insecure about catching a flick for self. You watch movies at the crib, don't you? Granted, short dialogue and group-talking to the screen is part of the movie-going experience. But sometimes, I either don't wanna wait on anybody or don't wanna be bothered.

In my Red Lobster days, I remember guests asking me to seat them away from crowds so nobody would see them by themselves. There's nothing wrong with eating by yourself. I must say, I don't get what I'd get from actually sitting in the dining room by myself. I'd rather take it to the crib and watch TV or something. But if that's what you wanna do, it's cool.

I think it's healthy to spend time alone every now and then. Anybody who has spent an extended of time with me, will tell you I get quiet every now and then. It's not that I'm pissed or anything, I guess shut down and require some quality me time every now and then. The one thing I wouldn't do by myself, is go to a club. I think it's something to do with friends, not alone.

What about you guys? Any of you hit the flicks solo sometimes? Any of you don't understand why some people do it? Any of you do things by yourselves, like go to clubs?

8 comments:

Im just, Im just *Rika* from the Block!!! said...

I don't do movies by myself, but I absolutely LOVE doing things by myself...museums, walks in the park, long drives to nowhere. I even enjoy eating by myself...no need to worry about keeping up a convo with anyone. I dont even carry a book or magazine. I people watch, i think random thoughts...smile at people who stare at me sitting by myself...i love it...

Plus, I even more of an extremist...I went on VACATION by myself...to Miami...it was amazing

How about you attempt that Carl....vacay solo?

Dove said...

I do movies by myself sometimes, but I gotta tell ya Carl... I like when someone goes with me because it's almost always right about the 1.25 hour mark that the large soda catches up to me. I need someone to tell me what happens in the 3-6 minutes I miss.

I guess that's a selfish reason to want a friend there though...

Naked With Socks On said...

never done the solo moving thing, although me and my boy snuck into see Crouching Tiger and all the seats were taken except for the two handicap seats so he sat on one end and I sat way on the other. technically alone, but I knew someone in the theatre.... but the going to a restaurant to eat solo? Unless it's a chain restaurant like Wendy's or something quick, the whole waiting for the waiter to bring you your food and you're sitting there all alone? Nah, buddy

Jackpot aka H.D. aka Desckabaisses said...

Oh, I'm ahead of you, Rika. The plan is for me to go to France this late summer/early fall by my damn self.I cheated though. I went to a country where I can speak the language. Yuh!

SabaG. said...

""I'm not saying his performance makes me wanna see Brokeback Mountain, but it was superior.""
(LMAO what a dork )
Don't do clubs on the lonesome tip!! cant. Did it once... Hold on isn't were i met you?? lol...
But I do everything by myself. I like to have space and give it! You appreciate people more! But I have yet to hit up a movie on the solo tip! I like to enjoy that with a human being, at least an animal! SHEEsh

Jesus Talks said...

I totally agree with this post. You need time for yourself or else you'll go crazy. Once in a while I like to stroll around my 'hood smoking a cigar. Very relaxing..

Paul Cantor said...

sheeeeeit I've seen probably 25 movies this year, all by my lonesome. Can't even remember the last movie I saw with someone else. I never go to the movies with other people. Totally fucks up the experience for me. If i wanna be somewhere with someone else, the last place I'd take them is somewhere we can't even speak or see one another

g said...

@ rika. i thought about going on vaca alone. Miami, specifically. but its an weird place to be alone...so i decided not to. however i did go to the beach alone.

i used to feel weird about doing things alone, but i think its an imporant mini-lesson