Monday, July 28, 2008

Would You Give The Money Back?



I never thought a 7-year-old would sum me up so well.

I'm no angel, but at the same time, I'm no scum. Aside from getting caught leaking on the street the night of my homie Jesus' bachelor party last year, I haven't gotten into much trouble since my teens. Still, to this day...it's fun to do bad things and I love doing hoodrat stuff with my friends. I definitely still have somewhat of a juvenile streak in me, but I usually keep it under control. I'm not sure I can recall the last time I did a hoodrat thing...well, maybe recently telling Farnsworth Bentley he had some nerve for putting out that "Everybody" video qualifies.

But the bottom line is, I'm never a hoodrat when it counts. If somebody drops something, I give it back. If the cashier gives me too much change, I give it back. I guess I've been piling up good karma points. This weekend, I was walking towards the turnstile at the Jamaica Van Wyck station in Queens, lost in my Amy Winehouse, when I pulled my blackberry out. Two steps later, some good samaritan, taps me on the shoulder and hands me $40. I'm assuming the doe fell out of my pocket when I pulled my phone out. And my reaction time was so slow, I don't even think my thank you was grateful enough. Shoot! As crappy as the economy is, I wouldn't mind finding 40 beans, unless I knew who it belonged to of course.

What about you guys? Do you usually keep the money, or give it back? Have you ever lost money somebody and had a good samaritan save your day?

5 comments:

Im just, Im just *Rika* from the Block!!! said...

Its weird because I would say I would keep the dough (especially if Im hard up--pause-- for dough at the time) but every time Im in that situation, my first reaction is to grab the dough and run after the person...

ugh...it sickens me to know that I have a nice side...

Paul Cantor said...

Even though cash rules everything around me, I'd give the money back. What is $40 in the grand scheme of things anyway? Not worth it.

Clark Kent said...

When I first moved here, I didn't have no dough, right - living check to check and this lady dropped 20-bucks on the ground. I swooped down like an eagle on a trout! Now, I'd probably give it back. So, for me, it determines on the financial situation that I'm going through.

Rosy said...

If a cashier gives me too much change, hell no i'm not giving it back....It's not my fault they weren't paying attention! But if somebody drops some money or i find somebody's cell phone, I will give it back. I actually have done this before. And a couple of years later I lost my cell phone and the person actually called my home phone to give it back to me...What goes around really does come back around.

Naked With Socks On said...

Actually someone just gave me my money back. Was buying fruit from the fruit guy (Pause) over by the office and thought I had a stack of ones in my back pocket so reach in and peeled off the first 3 bills and was stepping away. Homey was like, wait, you gave me 7. Apparently I had a 5 at the top of that stack of ones.

Now you know most of those fruit guys have that grimy vibe about them so I was a little shocked that homie kept it real. So I immediately thought about this post.