Wednesday, October 22, 2008

I hope She Doesn't Pick Up...



Everytime I think I'm revealing something a little off, you guys jump in the comment section to let me know you're experiencing something similar.

Well, I could be onto something else. You ever called someone and hope they didn't pick up? It doesn't even have to be a dating type of setting. I personally don't like to avoid people (I think I just lied), but I'm also too much of a punk to just say, "Listen, I really don't feel like talking to you right now and I probably won't feel like it tomorrow or the day after." I know. It's messed up. But I'm just being honest.

Here's a scenario. You haven't talked to this guy/girl in maybe a month and you bump into him/her at a party. Here's the thing, if you have to remind yourself to call somebody, you should probably just give up on the idea. And here's another thing. In this particular scenario, she/he always calls. You, never do. Sometimes it's hard to pin point why you aren't phone-friendly. You just aren't. So it goes a little something like this...

Carl's Friend: Ayo! There goes Vicky over there!

Me: Where? [ Dives behind couch]

***5 Minutes Later***

Vicky: [Taps on my shoulder]

Me: Hhheyyyyyy!

Vicky: How you been?

Me: [Looking all over the place] I've been good.

Vicky: You look nice.

Me: Thanks!

Vicky: What you been up to?

Me: Mostly work. It's been crazy.

Vicky: How long has it been?

Me: I don't know. A long time?

Vicky: Well, it's so nice to see you. We should hang out.

Me: Y...yeah!

What a punk! Since I hurt myself diving the first time, I make it my business to call. That way, the next time you see him/her, you can be like, "I called you." So you call and borderline have your fingers crossed for him/her not to pick up as the phone is ringing. If he/she doesn't, you're good. He/she can call back later, but it doesn't matter. You called once and can pretty much milk it. The next time you see him/her, you just turn the tables and be like, "I called you, but you didn't pick up."

So, am I finally off, or have you guys ever felt the same way?

4 comments:

Im Just, Im Just Rika from the Block!!!! said...

Lmfao....I thought I was the only one...I absolutely HATE talking on the phone...and tend to avoid all phone conversations, even with my girlfriends and my boyfriend...I wont even call you, Carl...and I like you as a person... :-)

But youre better than me. Whenever I get caught by a girl or guy Ive been avoiding, I sill dont even call back even though I said I will... and I always use the line "life is hectic right now" as a way to explain my inability to call back...

Question, Carl, ever do the Call Roulette? Thats when a call comes in on your cell, but you dont know the number...and you stare at it, hemming and hawing over the fact that it may be someone you dont even want to speak w/ ever or someone youve been avoiding... and then it goes to voicemail...and they dont leave one!!!! Now youre stuck never knowing who that was....and have to do the Call Roulette all over again if they call back.

MeLa Machinko said...

Man, thats a regular occurrence.

The thing is, I used to be a phone person.. I dunno what happened.
i actually used to be uncomfortable just letting the phone ring and not picking up. Now I stare at that bitch and chuckle before hitting the side button on my razr and un- muting the TV.

Sorry, mom. Scrubs is on.

I'm averaging 7500 rollover minutes a month. If those orange coins from the commercials were real, I could swim in them like Scrooge McDuck.

Rika- If they didn't leave a message, they ain't want nothin important. you dodged a bullet. :)

HD- i was about to say that you sound kinda jerky (LOL)... until i realized that I am the QUEEN of "nothing personal, I just don't want to talk to you... in the club/ on the elevator/ in the gym/ backstage after the show/ insert circumstance here."
So, since I'm not a jerk, you're absolved. ;)

g said...

people who chit chat on the phone are weird to me. who actually LIKES staying on the phone? so yea, i feel u. but i'm probably way worse

Farrah said...

I'm a talk-aholic. Back in the day my Dad asked me if I had "diarrhea of the mouth". I talk on the phone all the time (needless to say I have a very high minutes plan on T-mobile).

I don't know what that says about a person...but sometimes I feel like I'll miss out on something if I don't answer...Does that make sense.

PS I hope you don't feel that way when I call you!