Sunday, November 30, 2008

Black Friday Is Dangerous...





Not to generalize, but some of us black folks' financial priorities are pretty screwed up.

I've always been an impulsive shopper. Back in college I had a 40 inch white gold chain, but no car and no money in the bank. That's as dumb as it gets. Though I'm still somewhat impulsive, minus my Nike ID obsession over the past summer, the impulse never reaches red. I just had a relapse, though.

I had no intention on taking part in Black Friday until I bumped into my boy O on the train a few days prior. Apparently, Modells was selling the classic tan Timberlands with 50% off between 5 A.M. And 12 P.M. I'm long overdue on a Timbo re-up, so I figured I'd go and cop two pairs. Unfortunately, they didn't have any size 16 left...All right, all right! That's not my size. But since I put a buck and change aside for the Timbs, I somehow convinced myself to spend the doe on something else.

So I wandered into Banana Republic and they had 40% on sweaters and outerwear, among other things. They didn't have anything I liked, though, so I went to J Crew right across the street. I picked out a few reduced items only to find out there was a 30% sale off the discounted price. So, if a sweater was initially $79.99 and was later dropped to $59.99, you ended up copping it for $42. Good deal!

Next thing you know I'm in Circuit City losing my damn brain. I saw NBA 2K9 for $6.99. I was so unstable, I almost bought it and I don't even have a Playstation. I almost escaped without spending a dime, but then I saw Superbad on sale for $6. I look left and see this bucket with a bunch of Entourage seasons for only $14. Mind you, the TV DVDs usually run $40 to $50 depending on the season. They didn't have too many left, though, so I got in position and started boxing this Asian chick out. My old basketball coaches would have been proud. Thankfully, I copped me a few seasons and left without going to Macy's. I just don't think I could have survived that trip.

In the end, I spend a few extra dollars, but didn't go overboard. It was a close call, though. What about you guys? Bought anything? Went overboard?

5 comments:

Naked With Socks On said...

welcome back.. what's with your picture?

Dove said...

I just did some online browsing, and found an inside air filter (my downstairs neighbor smokes) for $29.99, marked down from $69.99. Whoo hoo! I know it's boring, but my Xmas will be better because of it :-)

NaturallyAlise said...

I only went shopping at my part time job and bought all the stuff I hid all week, lol.....

martine said...

lmao i did a re-take at size 16.. i was like "wow, WTF?!" lol.

thank god i stayed in the house, i woulda maxed my credit cards.

Farrah said...

My only question is did you get me anything?!