Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Do You Think You're Funny?



You know, LOL rules apply to real time comedy...At least in my opinion.

If I don't literally laugh out loud, it's not funny. Unfortunately, comedy is subjective, so there are folks out there who inexplicably think Seinfeld isn't any good, let alone consider it the G.O.A.T of sitcoms as I do. And then, there are folks who don't have a single funny bone, but annoyingly persist in cracking flat jokes. There's nothing worse than an unfunny person who laughs at their own jokes. FYI: If you have to remind me, 'I'm funny," you probably aren't that comical.

I hate to pull the gender card, but women especially like to claim comedian. Not to say dudes don't, but girls I know-with a few exceptions of course- always wanna claim funny. See, it comes down to percentages like anything else. Hit one out of three baseballs, you'll definitely make the majors. Hit two jumpers out of five, you might could make the NBA. But one or even two out of five good jokes, not funny.

I guess this is a trick question really. You ever seen Dave Chappelle or Eddie Murphy say, "I'm funny?" Dudes can have the hugest egos, or be straight divas, but they're interestingly pretty humble about calling themselves funny. So, with that said. Do you think you're funny?

9 comments:

Dove said...

Good post. I find that people laugh at me and say I'm funny, but it's probably not because I'm comedic... I'm just funny in a weirdo kind of way. I often do things just to amuse myself, so I "LOL" in my own little bubble quite a bit. (laughing in *here* - where it counts...)

Aside, the one person who makes me laugh all the time is Chelsea Handler. She rocks.

Farrah said...

You know what guy is not funny, Ed Lover! How does he continue to find work, this dude is so corny and just like you said he laughs at his own jokes. He makes me cringe.

And "YES", I think I am hilarious...
and I know you would agree!

dscott said...

I agree; nothing worse than an unfunny person laughing at their own jokes, though, I've found that some of those people aren't aware that they're laughing at themselves. It's kind of an subconscious tick. A security blank of sorts. They're probably uncomfortable even offering up a joke. But more often than not, the person is just an asshole.

Oh, and my G.O.A.T. sitcom is Martin.

Sam Ed said...

I find that pretty chick are usually never that funny. Especially when they try to be intentionally funny it's just horrible. The prettier the cornier for some reason. Maybe that's why there aren't any Superbad female comedians. Couple cute ones but nothin superbad...

ron mexico said...

i might be the least funniest nigga of all time.

MeLa Machinko said...

Fuck that. Im funny as fuck. LOL!! (@ myself. AND what!)

@ Sam Ed- Amy Schumer is really cute. So is Chelsea Handler. Even Sarah Silverman and Jenny McCarthy are real cute. I dunno about superbad, tho.
(damn. those are all breads. *sigh*)

But, why the hell would some chick who's hot enough to skate through life on her looks wanna put herself through the grueling punishment that is the standup comedy world?
They just don't bother to develop that muscle.


@ RonMexico- you, sir, are a liar.

SabaG. said...

Lmao! I'm mad as hell at Sam ed! WHat? are u serious! Carl you know IM funny!!There were times were I just snicker on the train or even out loud and people just stare or laugh! 90% laugh with me too!<< lol ahahhaa haha
There is a fine line between comdey and being a lunatic, you have to be a lunatic to laugh at your own jokes. But I agree with Dove Chelsea Handler is hilarious

Jackpot aka H.D. aka Desckabaisses said...

Chelsea Handler is not pretty, but she's hilarious. Ha! Let's not crucify Sam Ed or myself. We're not saying pretty chicks aren't funny. We just personally don't know that many.

Jackpot aka H.D. aka Desckabaisses said...

Chelsea Handler is not pretty, but she's hilarious. Ha! Let's not crucify Sam Ed or myself. We're not saying pretty chicks aren't funny. We just personally don't know that many.