Sunday, December 14, 2008

What's The Best Movie Of 2008?


The Dark Knight

Since the year's coming to an end, I thought I'd revisit some of its best and worse moments this week.

One of the year's worse moments, at least on an entertainment level, was the death of Heath Ledger back in February. I wrote a post at the time predicting that The Dark Knight would be the year's biggest film. Well, not only was it the year's top grossing film, for my money (not much), it's also the year's best.

One of my initial concerns upon hearing that Ledger was to incarnate the Joker was his lack of resemblance to the legendary DC Comics vilain. On the flip side, Jack Nicholson, who played the Joker in 1989's Batman, actually looked the part. I remember hearing early reports on Ledger's performance and thinking he couldn't possibly match Jack, but he arguably did an even better job. They may as well have killed the Joker off, because no actor on earth will ever be able to follow in Heath and Jack's footsteps. It'll be blasphemous if he doesn't nab the first Oscar nomination (and wins) for portraying a superhero.

Though he became the main draw, Ledger isn't solely responsible for Knight's success. The flick was pretty immaculate safe for two things: Batman's corny ass voice and Maggie Gylenhall. As much as I despise Kirsten Dunst, who thank the lord is rumored to not be featured in Spider-Man 4, Gynlenhall has to be the wackest superhero girlfriend ever. There's no way this chick would have two dudes, let alone a billionaire and successful lawyer, fighting over her. It's just un-believable. At least they killed her off. If Dunst makes it to Spidey 4, I hope she gets 86'd by Karnage or something.

As much as I loved Knight, Best Movie billing is always up for debate. I noticed something, though. My movie diet pretty much consisted of action flicks and comedies this year, no No Country For Old Men here. I dug Pineapple Express, Tropic Thunder, Step Brothers, Iron Man, Hancock (do I need to pause that?) and Wanted just to name a few, nothing too deep. What do you guys think? What was your favorite flick of the year? I hear Slum Dog Millionaire is dope. Any suggestions?

9 comments:

MeLa Machinko said...

Maggie Gyllenhall wasn't bad in the part. She's just ugly as hell. hehe.

No No Country? Son. When you diss No Country, you diss yourself.

Imbad at faves as a rule, tho. Im too sometimey. But Pineapple Express was the least funny of the funny movies.

Off to kill myself due to the giants/ dallas game. good bye, cruel world.

brian said...

Nalin Palin >_______

Jackpot aka H.D. aka Desckabaisses said...

No, Mela. I loved No Country For Old Men.I'm just saying I haven't seen that type of film this year. Please, Xavier Barden just murdered that role. It was just ill.

Langston said...

If you haven't seen Wall E, go check it out. I think its the only movie that came out this year so far that can give Batman a run for its money. It transcends being just some little Disney flick.

Sam Ed said...

Hands down "The Dark Knight" honorable mention "Iron Man" and "Wanted"

Anna said...

my 3 fave are Slumdog Millionaire, Step Brothers and Wanted.

ron mexico said...

hahaha @ mela. when you diss OC...

i knew this was about the dark knight as soon as i opened the link. i haven't seen too many new movies this year, but the dark knight has been my favorite so far by a wide margin.

Apollo Moses said...

The Dark Knight hands down was the cinematic classic of 2008!
Tropic Thunder was the funniest along with Soul Men a funnier version of Life.
Iron Man and The Hulk held down the summer. Wanted was a fresh, Step Brother was a sleeper, and James Bond was that dude. The Strangers was bat shid crazy as the best thiller.

martine said...

"Hancock (do I need to pause that?)" LMAO. u r stupid. and HANDS DOWN the best movie of the year is "WANTED". i've never been so hype during a movie from beginning to end.