Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Is It Cool To Date Your Boy's Ex?

It ain't no fun if the homies can't have none.

I can't front, I take pride in my wingman skills. If there's one thing I brag about, it's being the self-proclaimed wingman G.O.A.T. I've set most of my friends up on a platter at least once and I always complain about the lack of reciprocity (minus one exception). I even hooked up a close friend with a girl I briefly dated back in my teens. I know it may sound foul, but we only dated for two months and developped little to absolutely no feelings for one another. There was no history there. Plus, the hook up actually took place years later. Me and my boy weren't pals back when me and shorty dated, so it wasn't premeditated. He inquired about a shorty he met from around my way and it turns out I dated her briefly, so I offered my assistance.

That was then, though. I'd never do it now. I don't look at any chicks my dudes talk to and I'd appreciate it if they did the same. Now, some of my boys who shall remain nameless clearly feel different. They can see me talk to a girl one day, bump into her the next and ask for updates. If the rapport doesn't seem to be progressing fast enough for their taste, they ask for my blessing to pursue something. Vultures! I mean, we're human and some of my homies have been with some bad ones, but I just wouldn't allow myself to go there. Unless we somehow become rich and famous. I already told me friends. If Paula Patton dumps my friend and tells me she wants me a few months later, tough luck, Jack. I'm wifing that. The same goes for Mel B. and two handful of others. But seriously, I'm pretty strict about it, but where is the line drawn. How close of a friend do you have to be? Can exceptions be made?

A friend of mine recently came to me with an interesting dilemma. He was contemplating hooking up with this girl who had previously been intimate with his friend's friend. Mind you, friend circles collide every now and then, so they had definitely hung out together in the past. But it's not like the were buddy buddies. He also wasn't the aggressor. She approached him, but does that really make a difference.

What do you guys think? Is there a loophole? Or can't we talk to anybody who knows somebody we know, period?

4 comments:

MATOU said...

I guess it's different for guys but I personally think if my friend dated someone that person is OFF LIMITS. No matter how brief it was. I'll even take it a step further and say that even if a friend had any type of interest I wouldn't go through. Regardless if the interest was taken to another level or not....
That friend circle thing? Nah I don't agree with that either. I've had friends of my guy "friend step to me but I said no for the simple fact that they're associated and from the same tribe as him....

Story---> Someone that I was TOTALLY into FOR 2 YEARS, we didn't date, but the progression was seriously there or so I thought, tried to hook me up with one of his friends... I was sooooooo Pissed that I called the dude like F@*# it. (Mind you the friend didn't know our history). Like how the hell do you try and hook somebody u love up with one of your close friends!!!!! The F@*#ing nerve!!!!

Janee TMB said...

Joe Budden did it.

Farrah said...

It's all relative...Six degrees of seperation...We all know everyone!!!

DO IT!!! No Questions asked!!!

Jackpot aka H.D. aka Desckabaisses said...

Ouch, Mat! Damn, Farrah! Like that?