Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Who's Going To D.C. For Inauguration



Barack Obama's upcoming inauguration is likely to go down as the most contradictory day ever.

On one hand, it's the day many think black folks shall finally overcome- officially crowning a black man as the leader of the free world. It doesn't get much more progressive than that. On the flip side, loads of folks will be doing the stanky leg at unofficial inauguration after parties. Let's be clear, I love black people, but I can't stand niggers. And D.C. is likely to be a damn zoo on the days leading to inauguration- lots of poultry and folks acting a monkey...Picture Memorial Day in Miami, the Super Bowl and NBA All-Star Weekend². It will be niggorant. They're reportedly expecting 4 million people.

Word is Jay-Z will be performing and you already know Diddy's tap dancing ass will be there. I doubt they'll be part of any official festivities, but they'll be there. I'm not sure all of you are aware of it, but reports say Puff, Hov and other celebrities were told to stay away from Obama's election festivities in Chicago back in November. I'm thinking they didn't wanna take chances with any hip-hop affiliation after Ludacris' Hillary and McCain disses somehow came back to bite Barack during the presidential race. Let's face it, Obama owes a lot to the youth vote, which hip-hop is a big part of, but why can't it just be about exercising your right and doing something you should have done years ago. Frankly, I'm irritated at the thought of all these rappers trying to front like they're so cool with Barack. We don't have to hip-hopify everything. No need to call him a hip-hop president or nickname him Obeezy. That's the last thing he needs.

On another note, I just can't believe Martin Luther King Day fell a day before Inauguration Day. You just can't make that stuff up. Awwwww, man! Black folks will be calling in sick and coming in late that Wednesday. It may seem like it, but I'm not mad at folks heading to D.C. I understand their need to witness history- to be able to tell their kids they were close when the first black president was inaugurated. Shoot! Should the opportunity come my way at the 11th hour, I would ponder going. I'm just amazed at the irony- one giant step forward and perhaps some steps back.

So, who's going? Whatever you do, please just don't get arrested.

5 comments:

MeLa Machinko said...

I dont think there's anything wrong with our cultures' 'leaders' (i said cultural leaders on purpose) wanting to identify with and claim our nation's leader. its something that we as a people have never had the luxury of doing- having one of 'ours' be on top- and its not something we're accustomed to. it may feel uncool, or uncomfortable at first. but compare it to every other race and culture and you'll find symmetry.

I don't like crowds, tho. rather watch it on youtube. lol

Assertive Wit said...

I'll be watching it from the comforts of my home because crowds of that caliber are not my thing. I trust that "we" (as a people) STILL have some growing to do as far as knowing how to act when we are out in public so I stay away from unfamiliar crowds LOL

Kudos to anyone who feels the need to go though!

Adwoa said...

Assertive Wit said just what I was thinking!

I hope people maintain their cool and no nigger-ish shit goes down...

Farrah said...

"Obeezy"...THAT IS HILARIOUS!!!

Kir-Shan said...

I'm def not looking forward to inauguration weekend traffic. I live smack dab in the middle of D.C. right on the street that dead ends at the white house. The traffic's already getting worse, people are getting here mad early. I'm gonna stock up my house cause I probably won't be able to get anywhere for days. I'm majorly excited to watch the inauguration on television though.