Thursday, April 23, 2009

Nobody Wants To Be Black Or White Anymore...

Me and some of my homies have had this conversation several times. 

There was a time when being any type of immigrant just wasn't cool. And I'm Haitian, I should know. Back in the day, kids kept their nationalities or heritage secret. It just wasn't a good look. As far as Haitians are concerned, the tables have definitely turned. Being Haitian is actually kinda cool now. I guess we partly have Wyclef to thank for that. It's not unusual to see random Haitian flags in rap videos. And trust me, the ones doing the waving aren't always Haitian. I saw Young City (formerly known as Chopper) from Making Da Band wearing my flag on his head in Miami last year and asked him if he was Haitian. Dude had the nerve to say yes. His name is Rodney freaking Hill. No deal! Rappers also always brag about being cool with some Goon ass Haitians. 

On another note, it sort of seems like black isn't enough. My homie Ruffian Roni was telling me how a good number of folks he's known for years started claiming a different heritage out of the woodwork. Nobody wants to be black anymore. It's the same thing with white people...at least in urban culture. I've heard plenty of ethnically ambiguous folks disclaim, "I'm not white, I'm not white. Maybe they aren't, but my money (no much) says they are. 

What do you guys think? Similar stories to share? Beg to differ?

11 comments:

yellowrebel said...

im trying to make asian the new black...


that had absolutely nothing to do with the blog post

Paul Cantor said...

can't comment without ruffling some feathers... i'll just shut up lol.... good post tho

Is_is said...

It's not that black and white is no longer enough. To me it's more like it's an honor to have, know and live your history or heritage. Growing up in Cali with a name like Eniafe Adewale...there was no hiding the fact that my parents weren't just black. I for sure wanted them to be just black, would have saved me a lot of grief but now, and its partially from me being in New York, you rep your nationality like you rep your hood (Brooklyn stand up!). It's apart of you, helped make you, represents you, unites you or sets you aside from all the rest.

dallas said...

I peeped something sinilar when all the cats I gre up around starting claiming the Dominican.

These are the same dudes that was Puerto Rican for years. Every year we went to the P.R. festival on 110th and the parade and we squeezed mad asses in the name of Puerto Rican unity.

Now these dudes are all brand new an Dominican. Shit ain't the same no more. I feel old at the P.R. parade now.

KingPin Kel said...

Real Talk, up until High School I used to rep the fact Puerto Rican and Dominican to the FULLEST, just cause it was the cool thing to be, but, at the risk of sounding like a sell out, I stopped because, well, frankly my people can be some IGNANT Muhfuckas! Wavin' a flag and not knowing the history.

Now I'm proud to be an EDUCATED and INTELLIGENT Latin male, who knows a little about his history instead of just being proud to be Latin.

Che Guerrilla said...

Eff yo ethnicity!

bogart4017 said...

Nah most people just say their from Brooklyn and expect you to fill in the blanks.

Deshair said...

Man, I'll tell you, I'm glad that I've done some family research and found strong Haitian roots. I remember watching a James Brown special where he was singing "I'm Black and I'm Proud" in a room full of white kids that sung along with him. There was a time to be proud, but after watching the near riots that broke out because Popeye's ran out of chicken the other day, I'm gonna have to take the Obama approach; My father's family stems back to Haiti, but he doesn't really care now. My mother's family goes back to Haiti, and she is just glad she got her license last year.

Now all I must do is learn creole and maybe I can get me a Haitian girl friend out here... or do I want one? Help :)

Azza said...

The doors have been open. Those who were once conditioned to believe they were amongst the 'minority' have realized the contrary. 'Different' is the new normal, what a paradox. ;-)

Assertive Wit said...

hahahhaha my dad told me when I was little "if anyone asks what you are, tell them you're human"...he has never shared what his family encompasses because he said "at the end of the day, when people look at you all they see is Black so it really don't matter"...while it would be nice to know more about my heritage, I get his point...I'm Black. LOL

glennykravitz said...

it was never cool to be dominican. we're gettin some shine now. especially for us women. whenever i tell a dude im dominican they RE-ACT in very good ways.