Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Told You I Was the G.O.A.T...

Those of you who know me know I’m somewhat of a hoodrat.

I’m the type to do something stupid just so I can tell you about it later. For example, one of my boys got into a quasi-fight with a fa’nook (not that there’s anything wrong with that) and his homegirl earlier this year. I knew the fellers had it covered, so rather than jump in, I went across the street and got our "adversaries"' friend’s number just so I can tell my boys about it over drinks.

I haven’t had to make up too many stories lately, though. I’ve become sort of the G.O.A.T. Just last Wednesday my facebook status read, “Is tired of being the G.O.A.T.” Right on cue, my boy Ali, a Top 5 Carl ball buster right behind my punk ass cousin Farrah, commented, “Oh Carl, I'm so glad that you're still that same ole humble person.” Actually, I wasn’t referring to any prowess, but my unmatched ability to find myself in the most unlikely storylines—the type of stuff you just can’t make up.

Like, I was kinda sorta so to speak hanging out with this girl this summer. We’ll call her Tina. I can’t really remember how many dates we’d been on at the time, but we spoke via AIM fairly often and occasionally traded text messages. Anyway, one night, during one of our many IM conversations, we began toying with the idea of hooking up some of our friends. She apparently had this one girl in mind. We’ll call her Rachel. You know us guys always need visuals (even when it's not for us) before committing to a hook up. Thankfully, she told me providing photos wouldn’t be a problem ‘cause Rachel had a website. Imagine my surprise when I clicked the link. I'd actually gotten Rachel’s phone number at a bar in the city days before. TRUE STORY!

To make a long story even longer, I was standing near the front door, trying to see if this bench was dry enough to sit on when Rachel invited me to sit next to her. After chatting for a few minutes, she announced that she was leaving and suggested, “why don't you take my number down?” Mind you, I had no clue Tina and Rachel were friends; and Rachel didn’t know Tina and I were talking. It was all pure coincidence. WHAT…THE…FUCK!

Still in shock, I pondered my options. Should I tell her? What if I don’t and bump into Tina and Rachel at a later date? I hadn’t even made contact with Rachel, so how big a deal could it be? Thinking I had more to lose by keeping it a secret, I decided to tell her. Now, my cousin was against it. He said I should have avoided potential Rachel collisions for some time and then brush it off if I ever had to face the situation. Only me. I swear!!!

But wait, there’s more. Several weeks later, Tina so happened to be on my facebook page and noticed that I recently friended a girl named Tonya. She must have sensed that Tonya and I met earlier this summer. Not sure if it’s standard behavior when women like guys, but Tina decided to click through. Come to find out, Tonya had two friends in common, me and Tina's EX!!!!! Further research revealed that her ex contemplated talking to Tonya, but decided against it for reasons that are none of your nosy ass business.

SO, I typically conclude entries with one question, but I’ll use a mini questionnaire today. Did I make the right decision by telling Tina? Fellers, would you tell? Ladies, how would you respond if you were Tina? Was my cousin’s advice any good? Do you ever look through your mate, person-of-interest/secret crush’s facebook page to see what's going on? See you guys in four months.

8 comments:

Farrah said...

First off, why I gotta be all that...huh CARL!! lol Only you would have a story like this to tell. And for the record, "yes", when you are interested in a guy/girl and have access to his/her facebook, twitter, blogspot (whateve's) you look around. See who his friends are, what kind of cornball jokes he cracks, how often he responds to certain females, who he cheesing up in photos with [all that]. Its all about getting to know a person!

Is_is said...

The world, New York, our circles, are too damn small and the more people you meet, the smaller it gets so I tend to think honesty is the best policy. However, not every chick wants that (but I do..spill alllll the beans son!) I'm a well informed type chick, even when I'm not tryna be informed, information just walks right up and puts itself in my damn face but when it comes to twitter, facebook, myspace (Who's even on myspace anymore??), as the saying goes, if you seek you shall find. Stop bein pissy when you find shit!

So ummmm, how are you and Tina now???

Anonymous said...

Personally, I believe honesty is always the best policy. Even if Tina wasn't excited to hear about your exploits, I'm sure it's better than finding out somewhere down the line that you'd been withholding information. I think you guys think we can't handle the truth sometimes. Why is that?

On the whole FB thing, that sort of research is essential in the weed-out process. The deep get-to-know-you stuff should happen in real life, but a quick search of someone's FB page can reveal so much. People choose what they put out to the world in that space. If you friended me, why shouldn't I look into it? But looking into friends of friends, and people who post on your page...that might be too much.

Anonymous said...

oh yeah, and what IS up with you and Tina now?? people want to know!

Farrah said...

Yeah, what happened to Tina! Enquiring Minds...lmfao!!

Kia said...

hey, I think you used the "real" name once in this blog. Is that so?

Anonymous said...

oooh...the plot thickens...

Carl Chery said...

Kia, are you saying that I used a real person's name in the "Told You I Was the G.O.A.T." entry, or are you saying that I referred to Tina by her real name elsewhere in the blog?