Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Did You Really Just Ask Me That On Facebook?



I love facebook. Through it, I’ve been able to get in contact with a good number of folks I otherwise never would have been able to reconnect with—people I haven’t seen in roughly 10-13 years.

So yea, I love facebook. It’s an application on my phone, so when I’m out and about you may get one of my random updates. I don’t like twitter, so I usually use facebook to satisfy my urges for public randomness. Maybe it has to do with those damn updates, but there’s some definite inappropriateness going on on facebook.

I could be wrong, but I don’t remember myspace having the same problem. I noticed that people love asking personal questions on fb. Like, rather than send a message, they'll inquire, " are you dating anybody right now" or "got any kids yet" right on your freakin' wall for your 500 to 1000 friends to see. Needless to say, I always respond in an email. Now, I won’t make any excuses, but those long-lost friends are more focused on the fact that they haven't heard from you in years, not that their means of communication is questionable. In that sense, they almost (but not quite) get a pass. Now, I really have a bone to pick with people I communicate with often. Some will text me all day and then ask me a question on fb. Dude, why? You couldn’t send me one more text? What’s even worse is they’ll keep hitting you on facebook, not via text, if you ignore their question.

You see, I’m particular. “Looking forward to this weekend” is an acceptable wall post. You and the poster know exactly what it’s about, but it’s vague enough that no one else is in your business. Now, “you still coming to Marquee Tuesday?” is absolutely unacceptable. The post mentions a date and location. That's just too much information. It's probably isn't a big deal for some. I know a lot of you only accept people you know, so you don't mind any of that information going around. But for me, facebook isn't only family and friends. I accept everyone blindly, so some of fb friends don't know me from a can of paint.

Have you guys noticed the same thing? Has someone posted a personal question your wall before? If you don't mind sharing it, what was it?

7 comments:

Farrah said...

Someone posted on my wall: Did it heal yet...what did the doctor say...did you figure out who gave it to you!?

Smh...just kidding, but, that's an example of an inappropriate post...hahaahhhaha

Anonymous said...

I've definitely been asked about marriage, and all kinds of uncomfortable crap on my facebook wall. One high school friend basically told me to hurry up and have kids before it's too late. UNACCEPTABLE. I do restrict my privacy settings as far as statuses and pictures, but I like to give all my friends access to my wall. Clearly there are consequences.

Ms. Sylaneous said...

HAHA! funny post.

I haven't had anything too bad posted, but I have had a friend THINK she was sending me a note and it ended up as wall post. Like I said- nothing too horrible... the INTENDED note was as follows:
What up homie, just checking on you. I guess you and ***** are happy now huh? I saw ya'll all cozied up in the corner. I was trying to tell you I was about to leave, but when I got to the door, I heard too much action going on... so anyway, call or text me later.

LOL prob being that she posted dude's name on the wall. He and I were NOT an 'item', but were VERY familiar with each other. LOL It just kinda blew our 'cover' and people 'found out' about our weekend club flirts...

Carl Chery said...

Haha! Ms. Sylaneous, what did you tell the accidental poster? I probably would have gave them hell like it was deliberate.

Clark Kent said...

I took off my wall for that very reason.

Brian said...

That's my biggest social network pet peeve. MySpace did have the same problem. I had to set it so I had to approve comments before they went on my page. It's done on Twitter too. People have put several things out there about me that I would normally keep to myself. Aside from "TMI" posts, I don't see the purpose in posting anything conversational on someone's wall/comments. I think we have communication overload these days. Text, email, phone, FB, Twitter, MySpace, BBM, AIM...
Each has a completely separate purpose, but it seems some people can't distinguish between them and just use them all as a new way to "chat".

Jen said...

lol! recently this chick that I knew for one year in high school and didnt even talk to posted one of those survey questions like "Would you eat Jen out?" WTF!!!. OF COURSE I didnt check facebook until the next day, after my boss, mom, dad, baby sis, friends, etc etc (all on fb) saw it!! damn son